Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Birthday

Two days after Christmas was my birthday. This day had our first "major" snowstorm. And when I say major I mean about 2 inches. We wished the snow had come before Christmas so it would have felt a little more like the holiday. We decided to go to the Coex Aquarium in Seoul. It wasn't on a major train stop, so it took an hour and 1/2 to get there by subway from Suwon. By the time we got there, we were tired and ready to go home.

We decided to go in anyway. The aquarium was in the Coex mall. This mall was insanely large. While walking though the mall to get to the aquarium we stopped at ate Sbarros pizza. I was really excited to see the taste from home here. I don't really like Sbarros very much, but it was more so the fact that it was a taste from home that made it more delicious.

The highlight of the aquarium was supposed to be the walk-through tunnel where sharks and other sea creatures swim all around and over you. There was a little conveyor belt (much like at airports) that went through this area. The way the glass was bent gave Andrew and I both pretty bad headaches.

We decided we were too tired to ride the subway home so we were going to catch a taxi from the mall to the main train station. That way we could catch the 20 minute fast train home. Wrong-o. Because of the snow (and being in a city that has a population of 23 million) we were stopped in five lane dead stop traffic for over an hour. I fell asleep and woke up later to hear Andrew telling the driver to stop here. He realized we were at a closer station. Being in the taxi for that long only cost about $17. Not bad!!!

When we got back to Suwon we trekked through the snow to find a birthday cake. Luckily there was a free hat with purchase (like those animal hats I wrote about earlier). We got home, had the cake, then cashed in for work the next day.



Happy Birthday to me... thanks for the mailed gifts!



My birthday cake! Delicious fresh fruits on top.










My new hat.



The side view of my hat makes me laugh. It sticks out so far! Luckily this hat is reversible. The wolf can be flipped to go on top of the sheep. Oddly enough... I haven't worn this hat once since these pictures. Today, I saw one of my students wearing the same hat. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment